Conceptual illustration for the basic forces and mantle flow pattern around subduction zones. The forces indicated are: F_rp: Ridge push; F_sp: Slab pull; F_nb: Negative Buoyancy of the subducting lithosphere; F_ts: Trench suction. Resisting forces: R_d (c/o) mantle drag; R_s-c: Resistance at the subduction interface; R_b: Bending resistance; R_s: Mantle resistance on the slab; R_r: Mantle resistance on the ridge.
- Creator: Ágnes Király
- This version: 19.04.2023
- License: Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)
- Specific citation: These graphics by Ágnes Király based on Forsyth and Uyeda (1975) are available via the open-access s-Ink.org repository.
- Related reference: Forsyth, D., & Uyeda, S. (1975). On the relative importance of the driving forces of plate motion. Geophysical Journal International, 43(1), 163-200.
- Vector format version
- Suitable for dark backgrounds
- Transparent-background version
- Colour-vision deficiency friendly
- Readable in black&white
Faulty or missing link? – Please report them via a reply below!
123 views (since Nov. 2022)