Animated simulation of infinite Prandtl number, thermal convection (e.g., mantle convection). Simulations are run for variable Rayleigh numbers (Ra) and with or without internal heating (H) on a grid with 64×64 discrete nodes using an isoviscous formulation (unless marked otherwise). Equations solved are non-dimensionalised (nd) and the domain boundaries are free-slip (impermeable) and insulating on both domain sides, and isothermally hot at the bottom and cold at the top. The stream-function indicates the instantaneous direction of the flow at any given point in time. The Scientific colour maps ‘vik’ and ‘cork‘ are used to represent data accurately and to all readers.
- Creator: Fabio Crameri
- This version: 30.09.2022
- License: Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0)
- Specific citation: This animation by Fabio Crameri is available via the open-access s-Ink repository.
- Related references: –
- Light & dark background versions
- Colour-vision deficiency friendly
- Readable as black&white version
Faulty or missing link? – Please report them via a reply below!
53 views (since Nov. 2022)