Sketch of laterally progressing slab detachment. The concentration of slab pull forces towards a narrowing part of the subducted plate (slab) produces a characteristic pattern of surface-plate subsidence and uplift migrating along strike, and increases trench retreat and inflow of asthenospheric material into the gap resulting from the slab detachment.
- Creator: Fabio Crameri
- This version: 21.10.2022
- License: Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0)
- Specific citation: This graphic by Fabio Crameri adopted from Wortel and Spakman (2000) is available via the open-access s-Ink.org repository.
- Related reference: Wortel, M. J. R., & Spakman, W. (2000). Subduction and slab detachment in the Mediterranean-Carpathian region. Science, 290(5498), 1910-1917.
- Transparent background
- Light & dark background versions
- Vector format versions
- Colour-vision deficiency friendly
- Readable in black&white
Faulty or missing link? – Please report them via a reply below!
105 views (since Nov. 2022)