Seismic hazard maps presenting the level of certain ground motions that have a 10% chance of exceedance during a 50-year time span.

Seismic hazard maps presenting the level of certain ground motions that have a 10% chance of exceedance (or a 90% chance of non-exceedance) during a 50-year time span (corresponding to a return period of 475 years). The seismic hazard data shown from Giardini et al. (2003) describes the peak ground acceleration. The Scientific colour map ‘bilbao‘ is used to represent data accurately and to all readers.

  • Creator: Fabio Crameri
  • This version: 15.12.2021
  • License: Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0)
  • Specific citation: This graphic by Fabio Crameri is available via the open-access s-Ink repository.
  • Related reference: Giardini, D., Grünthal, G., Shedlock, K. M. and Zhang, P.: The GSHAP Global Seismic Hazard Map. In: Lee, W., Kanamori, H., Jennings, P. and Kisslinger, C. (eds.): International Handbook of Earthquake & Engineering Seismology, International Geophysics Series 81 B, Academic Press, Amsterdam, 1233-1239, 2003.
  • Alternative map projection versions
  • Alternative orientation versions
  • Light & dark background versions
  • Transparent background
  • Colour-vision deficiency friendly
  • Readable in black&white

Faulty or missing link? – Please report them via a reply below!

Leave a Reply